Hazrat Usman was a great scholar. His way of preaching and delivering the lecture was very effective and powerful. He was known for his soft, kind and generous nature.
Companion of prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said “Every Prophet will have a special companion in Heaven, and my companion there will be Usman.”
He was very generous and served Islam. He was known as Hazrat Usman Ghani because of his generosity.
- Hazrat Usman R.A was known for his generosity. In Madina, when Muslims where not allowed to drink the water, and they had a shortage of water. He bought a well from a non-muslim named “bi’r-i-Rumah” for 20,000 Dirhams and made it free to use for Muhajireen e Makkah.
- Always helped Muslims at the expedition of battles by giving his wealth.
- He bought a land for muasjid e nabwi to increase its space.
- He participated in almost every battle, against the non-m
- He was a very prominent Muslim to serve Islam by all means.
- Helped in Treaty of Hudaibiya- to negotiate with the non-believers.
- Hazrat Usman (R.A) had a great command over Arabic language and had beautiful handwriting. Holy Prophet (SAW) appointed him as one of the noble scribes of Holy Revelations.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) Gave him the glad tidings of Paradise for this act.
Title of Dhun-Nurain
He was married to the Hazrat Ruqayya daughter of Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH). But she became ill and she died. Afterward he was married to Hazrat Muhammad’s (PBUH) next daughter, Umm Kulthum.
As he was married to two daughters of Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH). So, he got title of Dhun-Nurain which means the man with two lights.
Hazrat Usman (R.A) was the first man to migrate to Abyssinia with his family for Islam and Allah.
Hazrat Usman (R.A) was the third caliph of Islam. The second caliph Hazrat Umar (R.A), appointed a panel of six men to select a caliph from amongst themselves. Hazrat Ali recommended Hazrat Usman’s name for the post of caliph.
Compiler of Quran
When Hazrat Abu Bakr (R.A) was the caliph. The Islam was spreading in all the corners of the world. The non-arabs had a difficulty to recite the Holy Quran. Hazrat Usman (R.A) noticed and felt differences in the recitation and pronunciation of Holy Quran. So, he appointed Hazrat Zaid bin Sabit (R.A) to make multiple copies of the same Quran, written by him (which had a way to recite). This step helped to save the Quran from differences and brought the people to common pronunciation and recitation.
He is known as Jami’ul Qur’an i.e; the compiler of the Qur’an. He made an Official Manuscript of the Holy Quran. So that non-Arabs can easily recite the holy Quran without mistakes.
He was assassinated while he was reciting Quran. One of the insurgents hit his head with an axe while the another struck him with a sword. His wife tried to protect her husband but couldn’t and got severe wounds.
He sacrificed his life to save the blood of Muslims. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) had declared Hazrat Usman (R.A) as one the upright Muslims because of his selflessness and great service to Islam. The Muslim world will forever be indebted to him because of his service for the holy Quran.